Date:      Wed, 20 Feb 2002 14:26:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Geoffrey C. Speicher" <geoff@speicher.org>
To:        "W. Wayne Liauh" <LiauhW001@hawaii.rr.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kylix

On Wed, 20 Feb 2002, W. Wayne Liauh wrote:

> Hi, I am toying around the idea of whether I should try fbsd.  Among the
> many questions, I am wondering whether you can run Borland's Kylix under
> fbsd?  Thanks.

I downloaded the Kylix demo and ran the test script that determines
whether the target system is up to snuff for Kylix requirements.  Here's
what it tells me:

	Borland Kylix System Compatibility Test

	Checking loader....FAILED
	Checking kernel >= 2.2....OK
	Checking libc >= 2.1.2....OK
	Stat: No such file or directory
	Checking libjpeg >= 6.2.0....FAILED

	This system is not compatible with Borland Kylix. Please see the
	documents in this directory for information on how to upgrade your
	system.

This is with linux_base-6.1, however.  I'm upgrading to linux_base-7.1_1
as we speak, and will report back my findings.  For the curious, the
accompanying documents say the following with regard to the two failures
above:

    -- A bug in some versions of the glibc loader can cause data
       corruption during the dynamic loading and unloading of shared
       objects. The result can be spontaneous segmentation faults in
       unrelated programs. Kylix is particularly sensitive to this bug,
       and will not install if the bug is present. The loader bug has
       been reported to glibc's maintainers, who have incorporated a fix
       in glibc 2.2. Systems which cannot upgrade to glibc 2.2 require
       a patched version of glibc 2.1.2 or later.

    -- Kylix requires libjpeg 6.2 or higher. (Some, but not all, Kylix
       applications also have this requirement.) An RPM package for this
       version is provided.

I don't know what the stat error is from.  Maybe I'll truss to check that
out too.

For the record, even if Kylix doesn't work, you should try out FreeBSD.

Geoff