Date:      Sat, 21 Aug 1999 11:14:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
To:        Martin Dvorak <mdvorak@ninell.cz>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SMP poor?

On Sat, 21 Aug 1999, Geocrawler.com wrote:

> Immediately after the installation of FreeBSD I noticed that the
> system is much more slower than it was with RedHat. So I tried to
> optimize the kernel, I tried to play with different configuration
> parameters etc. but nothing... While on RedHat I was copying large
> files in speed around 20MB/sec, now I am glad if I get to 5MB/sec.
> Also, untarring 1.5 MB file takes about 40sec which is not what anyone
> could expect mentioned hardware.

Linux systems usually mount filesystems "async" by default, which is very
dangerous if the system crashes. FreeBSD defaults to something slower, but
safer - but you can mount your volumes async if you really want to. Also
look at SoftUpdates which provides near-async speeds but without the
danger factor.

Check the mailing-lists for more info - it has come up many many times in
the past.

Kris