Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2001 08:01:22 -0800 (PST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@aciri.org>
To:        eugen@www.svzserv.kemerovo.su (Eugene Grosbein)
Cc:        rizzo@aciri.org, eugen@iname.com, freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PicoBSD 0.5

> One more question.
> I made floppy with MFS sized 1700kB.
> I found 3 places when I must set this value: 2 time in the kernel config
> (picobsd parameterl line and MD_ROOT_SIZE) and one time in build menu.

the value in the build-menu is read from PICOBSD so at least you
can save that one. I agree that it is annoying to have to
set it explicitly also in MD_ROOT_SIZE. I believe future versions
of the picobsd script should read the picobsd parameters from a
single place (probably the "config" file in the directory) and
manipulate the kernel config file to insert the appropriate
option.

> However, after boot completes 'df' says that /dev/md0c has
> only 1595 1k blocks. Am I missing something?

those are the blocks available for data, after some space has been
used for the boot blocks (8KB), label and inodes. If you look at
picobsd.bin, you see that the real data (kernel) begins at offset
0xb000 in the file -- i.e. some 36KB are lost in filesystem baggage.
Some of this space can be recovered, but i am not sure how.

One note-- disklabel 'auto' seems to create blocks of 1k/8k by
default, so you might want to add -b 4096 -f 512 options to
newfs to make it use smaller blocks in the memory image.
Not that this is a problem, but just in case...

	cheers
	luigi