Date:      Wed, 3 Feb 1999 20:35:23 -0600 (CST)
From:      Avalon Books <avalon@advicom.net>
To:        The Classiest Man Alive <ksmm@threespace.com>
Cc:        Matt Liu <MattL@ModaCAD.com>, FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Unable to newfs HD >10G with 3.0

On Wed, 3 Feb 1999, The Classiest Man Alive wrote:

> As far as I know, there are some limitations with the physical location of
> the slice that holds the root directory (i.e., the "/" directory).
> Unfortunately I'm not exactly sure what those limitations are.  If anyone
> can clarify, I'd be interested in knowing this as well.

   If memory serves, the root partition is limited to the first 1024
cylinders of a drive (what size this ends up being will depend on the
drive's head and sector geometry). I haven't actually seen anything
specifically detailing the size limits on type c, e and/or f partitions
for FreeBSD's ffs.

   However. EIDE itself is another matter. Based on drive geometry and
sector addressing limitation, the official EIDE spec ends around 8.4
Gbytes--anything bigger than that is a non-standard implementation. Note
that most of the newer PC's don't seem to have much problem with this at
the hardware level, and most of these non-standard drive appear to work
as advertised.

   Operating systems don't think that some of these non-standard
implementations are very funny, as turning a hard drive into a large
number of blocks into a logical volume is not as easy as it sounds, and
this can be made much more difficult when manufacturers start cutting
corners on drive firmware...

   I have experienced this situation of an "unformattable" drive on
several platforms, including Linux, FreeBSD and various win32's. Which
makes and models seem to vary over time, though Fujitsu's and Quantum's
seem to be particularly prone.

--R. Pelletier
Sys Admin, House Galigante
We are a Micro$oft-free site