Date:      Fri, 2 Mar 2007 13:22:45 -0500
From:      "Greg Larkin" <glarkin@sourcehosting.net>
To:        "'ajay gopalakrishnan'" <geek.dwells@gmail.com>, <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Are there any known issues for installing FreeBSD on Vmware onwindows XP ?

>=20
> Hey all,
>=20
> Are there any known issues for installing FreeBSD on Vmware=20
> on windows XP ?
> I have never tried installiing FreeBSD earlier and i just saw=20
> a mail in this
> mailing list regarding some problems while installing on=20
> vmware. Could not
> make out much. Can someone just elaborate on the issues faced while
> installing on Vmware.
>=20
> Regards,
> ajay.

Hi Ajay,

I wrote in to the list a little while back about VMware installation
problems that I had with FreeBSD 6.2, but the issue was completely
related to the CPU architecture (Via C3 Nehemiah) that I was using.
VMware doesn't officially support that processor, even though it's
supposed to be Intel compatible.  Another list member sent me a kernel
patch that fixed the problem (thanks ghozzy).

I also have a WinXP box with a Celeron processor in it and VMware
Server installed, and FreeBSD 4.x and 6.x both install and run with no
problems at all.

If you have any specific questions, let me know and I'll try to answer
them.  I'm going to be learning a lot more about VMware Server and
FreeBSD in the coming months, as I'm working on redeploying my
company's service using those tools as the foundation.  I hope to
share that knowledge with the list as I proceed.

I also found this thread
(http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2006-October/132
716.html) with some information in it about issues to be aware of
while running FreeBSD as a guest OS under VMware.  Follow the thread a
little way, and you'll see an example kernel config file, too.

Best of luck,
Greg Larkin