Date:      Mon, 21 Oct 2002 13:19:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        grant@thenetnow.com
Cc:        lloy0076@adam.com.au (David Lloyd), jackstone@sage-one.net (Jack L. Stone), freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DUMP

> Hi again all,
>
> Thanks for all the insight!
>
> I take it we could DUMP each filesystem individually, then simply RESTORE it
> to a new machine, as long as the filesystem exists and is big enough.

Yup.  That is it.
Make up the file systems on the new machine and restore in to each of them.
Note, that when you do the restores, you must cd in to the filesystem
where you want the restore to go.  Don't just do it from root.  The
mount point (eg '/' for root, '/home' for the /home file system if you
have that, etc) is removed from the path by dump.

> Can we DUMP all filesystems from one machine in one file then restore it?

Not really.  DUMP goes by file system.  You could put them all on
one tape if you are using tape - just sequentially one file after the
other.

////jerry