Date:      26 Feb 2003 21:45:10 -0500
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Gordon Broom <gjbroom@alumni.uwaterloo.ca>
Cc:        ajs@labs.mot.com, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mozilla window won't open after upgrade - FIXED

--=-4/YsXMbBYKEYKlmN5/Dd

On Wed, 2003-02-26 at 21:23, Gordon Broom wrote:
> Aron Silverton wrote:
> >=20
> >=20
> > Matthew Dillon wrote:
> > >     I had similar problems but reinstalling fontconfig did not do the=
 trick.
> > >     I also attempted to recompile and reinstall libXft, which didn't =
work,
> > >     then recompiled mozilla from scratch... and that didn't work eith=
er.
> > >     [...]
> > >     Our ports system really sucks when it comes to managing very larg=
e=20
> > >     ports like mozilla.
> > >=20
> > > 						-Matt
> > > 						Matthew Dillon=20
> > > 						<dillon@backplane.com>
> >=20
> > I had done a portupgrade -fR previously which is what really bothered=20
> > me.  I probably wasted just as much time as you on getting this to work=
.=20
> >   Perhaps in my situation Xft and the rest got build by the massive=20
> > upgrade, but fontconfig didn't.  Fortunately it all seems to be working=
=20
> > for the time being.
> >=20
> > Aron
> >=20
>=20
> I wish I had your luck, Aron.  I've rebuilt mozilla (using portupgrade -f=
R) at least 3 times (at ~3 hours a pop).  I've rebuilt Xft and fontconfig t=
hemselves, in the middle of all this, just in case there was some dependenc=
y that wasn't updated properly.  Yesterday I did a complete cvsup and insta=
llworld just in case there was some reliance on the underlying system, then=
 rebuilt mozilla again.  Still no luck.  Both mozilla and mozilla-devel wil=
l just display "No matching window found" when I attempt to start them.
>=20
> This all came around by attempting an upgrade of galeon from 1.2.7 to 1.2=
.8 after a recent cvsup of the ports tree.  Of course, galeon itself failed=
 because there's a C++ error in the source code! Now the galeon that's stil=
l installed (because the portupgrade failed) claims that it was built again=
st a different mozilla than what is there (which is true, because the mozil=
la updated, it just doesn't work), and promptly blows core whenever I try t=
o do anything.
>=20
> I'm now forced to surf the web using lynx on an xterm because nothing els=
e works.  Netscape7 is verboten, linux-mozilla doesn't install because the =
version of linux-base I have is too new (presumably something else needed a=
 newer one, who knows). =20
>=20
> What a house of cards.  I'm frustrated and out of ideas.

Did you ever rebuild Mozilla with -DWITHOUT_XFT specified?

Joe

>=20
> Gord.
--=20