Date:      Tue, 13 Oct 1998 10:55:22 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk (Philippe Regnauld)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, gibbs@pluto.plutotech.com
Subject:   Re: 3.0-19981009-BETA + 2840 AHA + camcontrol stop/start = panic

Philippe Regnauld wrote...
> Kenneth D. Merry writes:
> >
> > Unless you can provide a stack trace, or at least the functions around the
> > given instruction pointer, there's no way to know where the panic is.
>
> 	1st panic:	(i.p. = 0xf010553d)
>
> 	nm.aout /kernel | sort

> 	f0105448 T _xpt_done
> 	<--->
> 	f01055b4 T _xpt_alloc_ccb

I think I've been able to reproduce that one.  I think it's in xpt_done().
I've got an idea of why it's happening, it'll just take a while to track it
down.

> 	2nd panic:	(i.p. = 0xf014a92f)

> 	f014a914 T _tsleep
> 	<--->
> 	f014ab6c t _endtsleep

Haven't been able to reproduce that one.

> > Try setting up a serial console and DDB so you can get a stack trace.
>
> 	Ok, but onæy because it's you ;-)
>
> 	panic-on-demand (with DDB):
>
> 	[doing start/stop stuff]:
>
> 	panic: biodone: buffer not busy
>
> 	- trace:
>
> 	_biodone at _biodone+0x24
> 	_dadone at _dadone+0x23d
> 	_camisr at _damisr+0x1fb
> 	_swi_cambio at _swi_cambio+0xd
> 	doreti_swi() at doreti_swi+0xf
>
> 	(machine still in DDB -- anything more precise ?  I don't have a serial
> 	cross cable right now).

That won't be necessary, I can reproduce this one as well.  I'm not really
sure of the cause on this one, it'll take some investigation to find out.

BTW, in your first message you exposed a bug in camcontrol.  It's fixed
now.  The reason your drive started was because the error recovery code
kicked in and started it when you typed 'camcontrol'.  (the kernel tried to
access the disk, which wasn't spun up, so it sent a start unit command to
it.)

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry