Date:      Tue, 19 Nov 2002 05:55:53 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
Cc:        "Scott I. Remick" <siremick@yahoo.com>, FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: prefetching port dependencies

On 2002-11-18 23:42, Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 02:31:09PM -0800, Scott I. Remick wrote:
> > I'm getting interested in using portupgrade -FR to prefetch a
> > port's source and its dependencies (and maybe even run the
> > fetching in a 2nd session while other parts are compiling). But I
> > can only get it to work on stuff that is already installed. It
> > works great then.
> >
> > Is there an equivalent means to prefetch dependencies for a port
> > that ISN'T installed yet? For example, I hadn't installed mozilla
> > yet on this box but when I ran:
>
> Go to the desired port and do a 'make fetch-recursive'. This will
> fetch all the distfiles of the port and all its dependencies.
> (Doing a 'make checksum-recursive' is an even better idea since that
> will check all the checksums of the distfiles too.)

Yep, that works great :)

I'd only like to add a handy tip to avoid surprises later when
building the ports.

If you plan to build the ports with options different from the port
defaults (such as WITHOUT_X11=yes or WITH_SSL=yes), it is a good idea
to pass the exact same options to "make fetch-recursive" too.  Some
times, depending on what options are selected a port automagically
downloads different patches or distfiles.  By passing the same options
in both "make fetch..." and later "make install" command lines, you
will be sure that the port won't decide to fetch some extra stuff when
you start building it while offline.

Giorgos.