Date:      Tue, 18 Mar 1997 17:38:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Lowe <dlowe@sirius.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   diskless operation / netbooting prob

Hey people -

I am testing out the possibility of netbooting our FreeBSD machines.  We
have a lot of FreeBSD machines with almost no local data being stored on
them.  We are already doing 90% of the work over NFS - it makes sense to
take them one further step, to the netbooting phase.

I've read over Jerry Kendall's howto, and the Handbook entry on the
subject, and am still having a problem; it doesn't work :(

Both the boot server and the diskless client are Pentium 133 machines,
with 64MB RAM, and SMC EtherPower 10/100 PCI cards on a 10 megabit
network.  The server is running 2.2-RELEASE, the client is running
2.2-BETA.

After building the nb8390.com loader, putting it on a DOS bootable floppy,
and running it, it completely hangs (with no diagnostic)  I attempted to
see if it was doing network stuff with tcpdump on the server machine, and
couldn't see anything (but I'm not a tcpdump genius, so who knows)

Here are the significant chunks of my config files... I really hope
someone can help me out,

					David Lowe

--- server:/etc/inetd.conf ---
bootps  dgram   udp     wait    root    /usr/libexec/bootpd     bootpd
/etc/bootptab
tftp    dgram   udp     wait    root    /usr/libexec/tftpd      tftpd -l
-s /tftpboot

--- server:/etc/bootptab ---
client:\
        :ht=ether:\
        :ha=0000c071eee7:\
        :sm=255.255.255.0:\
        :hn:\
        :ds=205.134.226.254:\
        :ip=205.134.226.201:\
        :gw=205.134.226.254:\
        :vm=rfc1048:

--- server:/tftpboot/cfg.205.134.226.201 ---
rootfs 205.134.226.202:/export/rootfs
hostname client.sirius.com

--- server:/etc/exports ---
/export/rootfs 205.134.226.201

--- client:/usr/src/sys/i386/boot/netboot/Makefile ---
CFLAGS= -O2 -DNFS -DROMSIZE=${ROMSIZE} -DRELOC=${RELOCADDR}
CFLAGS += -DPCI -DPCI_VENDOR=${PCI_VENDOR} -DPCI_DEVICE=${PCI_DEVICE}
CFLAGS += -DPCI_CLASS=${PCI_CLASS}
NS8390=         -DINCLUDE_WD -DWD_DEFAULT_MEM=0xD0000
CLEANFILES+=    netboot.com
CLEANFILES+=    makerom start2.ro 3c509.o ns8390.o
LDFLAGS+=       -N -T ${RELOCADDR} -e _start -nostdlib
NOSHARED=       YES
NOMAN=
STRIP=
ROMSIZE=16384