Date:      Mon, 19 Jun 2000 10:58:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Linh Pham <question@europa.com>
To:        joeo@cracktown.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.0 on a Dell OptiPlex???

Thank you for the information... I might not need X on this machine, but
if I do need it, it'll be a while until I use X on that machine anyways.

I have X running on my other FreeBSD workstation and I can telnet or ssh
into the desired machine to make configuration changes.

Is 64MB of RAM enough for a server running qmail (definitely won't be
running sendmail due to security reasons), Apache+PHP4, telnet and sshd,
and ftpd? I can go stick with 128MB of RAM if 64MB isn't enough.

Again, thank you!

On Mon, 19 Jun 2000 joeo@cracktown.com wrote:

> These machines use the intel 810 system chipset, which includes an onboard
> i810e video controller.  X11 on FreeBSD 4.0 will not work in any useful
> resolutions on this box (everything else should).
>
> Current will likely have better support for the graphics in the next
> couple of months (due to Doug Rabsons recent AGP work, though the X
> server still needs FreeBSD specific work).
>
> On Mon, 19 Jun 2000, Linh Pham wrote:
>

> > I've eyed out a Dell OptiPlex GX100 Small Form Factor machine that has an
> > Intel Celeron 500Mhz processor, 128MB of RAM, and a 7GB hard drive for
> > around $825.00.

/*	Linh Pham  [question@europa.com]
	http://www.europa.com/~question/ie.4a/Introduction.asp

	MSDN Online Member
	CAUCE Anti-Spam Member
	MP3/MiniDisc Loyalist

*/

// "I think I am, therefore I might not be"