Date:      Fri, 23 Feb 2001 14:42:11 +0200
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>
Subject:   Re: sysctl kern.fallback_elf_brand

On Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 04:26:41AM -0800, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 11:19:20PM -0800, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> > One problem with this is that unbranded static Linux binaries are
> > executed as FreeBSD native binaries and there's a high chance of them
> > rebooting the machine if run as root.
>
> I've never seen that.  Everyone I've every tried just dumped core.  Have
> you really seen running one reboot the machine?

Yes.  Go to http://www.xiph.org/paranoia/down.html, get the ``Gzipped,
statically linked cdparanoia binary for Linux ELF'', unzip, do not brand,
run on RELENG_4, see machine reboot.

Swear under breath, wait for fsck, brand, run, watch proper operation.

This is just one example.

G'luck,
Peter

--
I've heard that this sentence is a rumor.