Date:      Mon, 6 Jul 1998 20:20:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Neil Bradley <neil@synthcom.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   PPP Troubles

Well, I've read the man pages, looked at the examples, and from what I can
tell I've done everything right, but I get the infamous "You may not use
ppp in this mode with this label" error message when trying to set up PPP
in FreeBSD 2.2.6.

My /usr/home/ppp/ppplogin file says:

#!/bin/sh -p
exec /usr/sbin/ppp -direct dialup

My /etc/ppp/ppp.conf says:

#
# default settings used in any case
#
default:
  allow users
  debug phase lcp chat
  timeout 0

#
# dialup for us
#

dialup:
  allow users
  set ifaddr 198.145.98.6 198.145.98.1

My /etc/ppp/ppp.linkup says:

198.145.98.6:
  add 198.145.98.6 netmask 255.255.255.224  HISADDR

What am I missing in this configuration? According to the example in the
man pages, it at least ought to get me in to PPP without giving me any
errors. ;-( Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-->Neil