Date:      Fri,  9 Feb 2001 20:34:37 +0100
From:      David Wetzel <dave@turbocat.de>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fax solution?

> From: Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>

> Does i4b provide anything WRT faxing?

No.

> I'm dreaming of a soultion allowing me to send a fax from an
> Office 97 or Office 2000 Windows box (Word 97 or whatever Word program
> you are using) and send that fax through a FreeBSD gateway
> machine.
>
> At the moment I'm using mgetty+sendfax and a modem but wouldn't using
> ISDN be smarter?

No. Even if you look at all the "professional" ISDN solutions, a decent
modem will always be better. I got faxes from AVM, Ferrai Fax and other
software but no one is as good as some modem based solution.

If you want to use ISDN, just send the file as PDF ,-)

BTW: Back in the old NeXT days we made TurboFax that uses the NeXT Window
Server to convert the print output to g3 and send it with sendfax. That gave
us a PostScript Level 2 Fax.

---
   _  _
 _(_)(_)_  David Wetzel, Turbocat's Development,
(_) __ (_) Buchhorster Strasse 23, D-16567 Muehlenbeck/Berlin, FRG,
  _/  \_   Fax +49 33056 82835 NeXTmail dave@turbocat.de
 (______)  http://www.turbocat.de/
           DEVELOPMENT * CONSULTING * ADMINISTRATION