Date:      Sat, 30 Jun 2001 14:16:33 -0700
From:      Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
To:        freebsd emulator list <freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: not a raw device for today's stable

from a month ago:
> i installed a new -stable, first in a month or since i installed vmware.
> reinstalled linux_base and vmware2 for good measure.
> for a rawdisk win98se partition, i now get
>     "Failed to open rawdisk /usr/compat/linux/dev/hda: not a raw device.
>     The device specified by the save raw disk is not a raw disk."
> it is the same mknod as /dev/ad0, the real multiboot disk.

john polstra, hero of the revolution, figured it out for me as follows:

jp> I think the problem may have been caused by the removal of
jp> compatibility with the old "wd" device in this commit:
jp>
jp>     sos         2001/05/31 08:20:35 PDT
jp>
jp>       Modified files:        (Branch: RELENG_4)
jp>         sys/dev/ata          ata-disk.c ata-disk.h ata-raid.c
jp>       Log:
jp>       MFC:
jp>               remove the wd compat device support.
jp>
jp>       Enable WC as default again, having it off hurts too much.
jp>
jp>       Revision   Changes    Path
jp>       1.60.2.13  +4 -28     src/sys/dev/ata/ata-disk.c
jp>       1.22.2.4   +2 -2      src/sys/dev/ata/ata-disk.h
jp>       1.3.2.7    +6 -6      src/sys/dev/ata/ata-raid.c
jp>
jp> You might be able to work around it without backing out this change.
jp> Try this:
jp>
jp>     cd /usr/compat/linux/dev
jp>     mv hda hda.old
jp>     mknod hda b 30 0x00010002
jp>     chown randy:wheel hda
jp>     chmod 644 hda
jp>
jp> The 30 is the block major number for the "ad" device.  Block device
jp> support was removed from -current, but it is still present in -stable.

this fixed it.  but what the heck are we gonna do when we go to 5.0?

randy