Date:      Fri, 22 Dec 1995 04:08:05 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        andreas@knobel.gun.de, graichen@omega.physik.fu-berlin.de, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: pcnfsd..

> And the X ports have no clue where the heck that tree is.
>
> C'mon Jordan, we've been through this before.  SysV allergies aside,
> there are reasons why none of the ideas were implemented.

Well, there are ways around that, certainly.  Consider for a moment
the fact that nobody seemed to be all that keen to continue extending
sysconfig or the other /etc files, either, and we're quickly running
out of possible options to *debate* here!  It's not like there are
that many different approaches available to us - either we code
implicit knowledge of our ports tree into our system startup files
(current approach) or we enhance the "rendevous" mechanism enough that
we don't have to.  Are the X ports your only concern?  We could take
Paul's suggestion and enhance it a little bit, e.g. rather than being a
directory it could now be a list of directories:

	local_startup=/usr/local/etc/rc.d /usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d

OK?

					Jordan