Date:      Mon, 21 Sep 1998 09:15:25 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
To:        Joachim Kuebart <joki@kuebart.stuttgart.netsurf.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: devfs boot problems

On Sun, 20 Sep 1998, Joachim Kuebart wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm having trouble booting with devfs. To me it looks like the kernel
> doesn't find the device entry for the boot device because it hangs
> (reset switch...) after announcing 'changing root device to...'
>
> I put the devfs entry first in my /etc/fstab to no avail. Now I feel
> stuck.
>
> Did I get something wrong? A pointer to some docu would probably
> suffice...

DEVFS is broken (at least for boot time) after removal of SLICE code - it
doesn't automatically create necessary slice/partition nodes. Don't use
it. :-(

Andrzej Bialecki

 <abial@nask.pl>       ||PicoBSD||   FreeBSD in your pocket? Go and see:
 Research & Academic   |+-------+|       "Small & Embedded FreeBSD"