Date:      Sun, 18 Oct 2015 14:12:42 +0200
From:      Ruediger Gad <r.c.g@gmx.de>
To:        Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <m.e.sanliturk@gmail.com>
Cc:        =?UTF-8?Q?Jean-S=c3=a9bastien_P=c3=a9dron?= <dumbbell@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-x11@freebsd.org" <freebsd-x11@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Testing the new i915 driver (rev. 3820047)

Thanks for the reply.

My computer is a laptop.
With "internal" screen, I was referring to the main screen of the laptop.
The "external" screens are the ones attached via the VGA respectively
HDMI ports of the laptop.
All video ports, internal and external, are connected to the same
graphics chip(s).

The laptop actually has a "dual" graphics chip configuration with an
Intel and an Nvidia graphics chip.
However, I strongly assume that my issues are not related to this dual
chip configuration because I see the output on the external screens and,
as far as I know, a mixed operation of the graphic chips (in which one
chip drives one display and the other chip drives another display) is
not possible.
This is also reported accordingly in the Xorg.log (it says something
about ".. no multi-card support").

To me it seems like that, for some reason, the internal video port is
not properly enabled.
You can see, e.g., in the Xorg.log that the internal screen (the one
with the 2560x1440 resolution) gets detected, EDID values are read, etc.
xrandr also reports the internal video port to be enabled but no picture
is shown.
I can also change the video configuration via xrandr and see the effects
on the external screen but the internal screen stays black.

BR,

Ruediger