Date:      Mon, 19 Jun 2000 20:30:46 +0900
From:      MIHIRA Sanpei Yoshiro <sanpei@sanpei.org>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Subject:   resource_usage API {Re: Call for review: restart pccardd by SIGHUP}

  Does someone write any code about below thing, resource_usage API.

  PAO3 has sysctl_machdep_checkio in sys/i386/isa/isa.c. And
/usr/sbin/pccardd uses that io port usage information for PC-Card
(pccardd automatically assign free io port to PC-Card).

  In latest 4-stable/5-current, we need set free io space in
/etc/pccard.conf with some NOTE-PC.

# PAO3 also has sysctl_machdep_checkmem.

  Now, I read 5-current kernel source code....(But I don't have
enough skill about newbus..)

http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=201239+0+archive/2000/freebsd-mobile/20000409.freebsd-mobile

>: I think the former would be easier because, user specify available
>: range roughly, and pccardd will correct it eliminating all of
>: resources in use from resource pool, "Please tell me all of used
>: addres range from 0x240 to 0x3ff. My master said that this range is
>: all available but I don't think so...  Oh, 0x300-0x31f is already in
>: use, OK, I'll desable this range for pccard, Thanks!".
>
>OK.  This won't take into account device drivers that are loaded after
>pccardd gets into information, but will likely be enough to do the
>right thing.
>
>Hmmm, thinking in API terms...
>
>struct resource_usage {
>        long    base;           // Base of resource to query
>        long    length;         // Length of resource
>        int     type;           // Type of resource
>        u_int8_t *map;          // Map of resources in use.
>}
>
>You'd pass the base (0x240 in your example), the length (0x1bf) and
>the type SYS_RES_IOPORT if that's visible to userland.  map would
>point to an area that is at least 0x1bf bits long (or 56 bytes).  Bits
>in this range would be set when that resource is in use.  You could
>also get IRQs this way, which is bar far the most useful thing to do.
>
>Hmmm, come to think of it, you could use this just before allocating
>resources to the card too if you wanted to.  It would be the most
>flexible way to deal :-).
---
MIHIRA Sanpei Yoshiro
Yokohama, Japan.