Date:      Wed, 23 Dec 2015 14:22:51 +0100
From:      rainer@ultra-secure.de
To:        Aristedes Maniatis <ari@ish.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: freebsd-update incorrect hashes

Am 2015-12-23 13:25, schrieb Aristedes Maniatis:
> I've had problems with freebsd-update for many years now. It is by far
> the least reliable component of FreeBSD since I started with the
> operating system back at 3.4 in 1999.
>
> Anyhow, I'm usually able to get past the exceedingly slow downloads
> and errors to the upgrade process, but this time nothing I do will get
> me to the end. I've tried deleting /var/db/freebsd-update but several
> hours later I was at the same place again. The internet link is fast,
> but with a web proxy in this location, some downloads are slightly
> delayed while the virus scanner on the proxy does its thing. Perhaps
> 3-5 seconds delayed.

The problem is phttpget or the proxy, depending on the point of view.

Some proxies have (had) problems with the pipelined http requests that
phttpget seems to use.

apt (Debian/Ubuntu) has, too - but they can be disabled altogether
there.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:OwcOVJamJOoJ:https://www.astaro.org/gateway-products/web-protection-web-filtering-application-visibility-control/55213-http-pipelining-broken-after-upgrade-utm-9-3-a.html+&cd=1&hl=de&ct=clnk&gl=ch

IMO, there should be an option to use wget instead of phttpget. Or at
least disable the request-pipelining.
There was a PR with patches floating around to make freebsd-update use
wget, but it never gained traction.

Also, didn't phttpget have problems with proxies needing authentication?
I usually have authentication at the proxy disabled for *.freebsd.org
for this reason.