Date:      Thu, 23 Nov 2006 16:36:51 -0500
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@FreeBSD.org>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        sem@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   pkgdb 2.2.2 is abysmally slow

--=-Qn0mHfvkY7RiGJqCOXL6

The pkgdb that ships with portupgrade-2.2.2 is orders of magnitude
slower that that of 2.1.3.3.  On a machine with 472 ports, if I upgrade
nspr the time to run pkgdb -fF after the upgrade is about ten minutes.
Prior to upgrading to portupgrade-2.2.2, the same operation took about
three seconds.  The result is portupgrades slow down to a crawl since
pkgdb needs to be run between the build completion and the
uninstall/upgrade portion.=20

If I comment out the new call to get_real_run_deps() in pkgdb, I get the
old performance back.  Could the contents of get_real_run_deps() be
cached so that this list does not have to be rebuilt for each port?

Joe

--=20
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeBSD GNOME Team      ::      gnome@FreeBSD.org