Date:      Mon, 30 Oct 1995 17:00:08 +0100
From:      Olof Johansson <offe@dawnrazor.campus.luth.se>
To:        d_burr@ix.netcom.com (Donald Burr)
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Port of minicom?

> Back in my days of using Linux, I got hooked on the MINICOM telecom
> program that came with it.  Mainly because, since I only have 8 MB of
> memory, X ran really slowly, and for some reason, I find MINICOM's
> user interface a lot nicer than Seyon's, and it's easier to configure,
> etc.
>
> Anyway, I attempted porting the latest version of Minicom 1.71 (the
> latest version I could find), available at
> ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/apps/comm/minicom-1.71.tar.gz.  The
> documentation CLAIMS that FreeBSD is supported, however I had to do
> some (admittedly minor) code hacking (mainly the config.h and the
> Makefile) to get it to compile right.  And it works, but with several
> (some minor, some major) exceptions:
>
> 1.	Can't get any other key to work as the "meta" key, besides the
> clunky <Ctrl-A> sequence.  It would be nice to be able to hit <Alt-D>
> to dial instead of <Ctrl-A> D.  (Is this a limitation/incompatibility
> with the FreeBSD console driver?  And can it be fixed?)
>
> 2.	Occasionally, the modem port (I'm using /dev/cuaa0) will "lock
> up" and refuse to work.  This usually happens when I start minicom,
> and it tries initializing the modem; sometimes, it fails.  Exiting and
> re-running minicom usually clears this up.  tty problem?  am I using
> the right /dev file?  [My modem is an internal USR Sportster 28.8, and
> it worked perefctly well under an identical setup, except running
> LInux instead of FreeBSD.]
>
> 3.	This is the major problem: I've configured my download
> protocols (zmodem, in my case, since that's the only protocol I ever
> use).  Auto-downloading works fine... BUT, when the protocol exits
> (i.e. the file transferred OK), MINICOM totally locks up -- the only
> way to exit (and this is by no means a graceful exit) is to flip over
> to another VC and 'kill -TERM' it.  This is really annoying, to say
> the least.

I compiled minicom for FreeBSD quite a while ago. I had some of the problems
you describe, but I found that sending a break helped when minicom locked up
(somehow it didn't seem to get all the way to my modem, but minicom started
running again). I couldn't find what was wrong, and nowadays I'm not using my
modem at all...

						-Olof