Date:      Fri, 5 Sep 1997 07:39:24 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Atipa <freebsd@atipa.com>
To:        S øren Schmidt <sos@sos.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.com
Subject:   Re: PIIX3 controller does not support CD-ROMs under FreeBSD

On Fri, 5 Sep 1997, Søren Schmidt wrote:

> > The PIIX3 IDE controller (pci0) used on 430TX-based and 440LX-based
> > motherboards is not currently supported. IDE disks work ok, but I can not
> > get any CD-ROMs to work. It does not recognize wdc1, although it does find
> > wcd0. DOS has no problem at all seeing the CD-ROM. This is very
> > repeatable; simply try to use a CD-ROM w/ TX.
>
> Erhm, you mean a PIIX4 right ?? thats the one that goes with the TX & LX.

Oops. You are right.

> > > wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 on isa
> > > wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <QUANTUM FIREBALL ST4.3A>
> > > wd0: 4110MB (8418816 sectors), 14848 cyls, 9 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
> > > wdc1 not found at 0x170
>
> We need ALOT more information to diagnose this:
>
> Hmm, have you enabled both IDE channels in the BIOS ??
Yes.

> How exactly are your drives connected (master, slave, primary, secondary) ??
Hard Dive Primary Master, CD-ROM secondary master.

> What kind of disks (manufacturer, model)
Quantum ST 4.3GB IDE HD, Samsung SCR-1231 12X IDE CD-ROM (which does work
fine w/ other chipsets in same configuration).

If I put the CD-ROM as a primary slave, the performance will suffer
(especially under MS-DOG or Win95). I do not believe you can "split" a
channel between DMA and PIO transfers, but you CAN have different
channels on the same board operate in different modes (DMA or PIO).

This same IDE configuration works flawlessly with 430HX, 440FX, 430FX,
SiS 5571, and ALI chipsets. I do not believe the problem has to do with
atapi.c, since I can not get any CD-ROM to detect (Samsung 8X, 12X, 20X;
Toshiba IDEs.

I strongly believe that the CD-ROM would be fine were wcd1 properly
assigned. I'll try putting the CD-ROM as a Primary Slave when I get to
work to verify this.

Thanks,
Kevin

PS - The type of TX motherboard does not matter (have tried ASUS,
Gigabyte, and MiTAC).