Date:      Tue, 3 Nov 1998 15:07:19 +1100 (EST)
From:      Jim Mock <jim@phrantic.phear.net>
To:        larry_nilsen <larry_nilsen@eee.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: entering pppON Circle> term

On Mon, 2 Nov 1998, larry_nilsen wrote:

[snip]

> Heres my problem i enter >term at the pppON prompt and i loose my
> command prompt all i see is the sample i typed above with that little
> white rectangle just sitting there in the bottom left hand corner
> leaving me with no prompt to type any commands ive tried all my keys
> on my key board and they are rendered useless.  The only way i know
> to connect to my ISP is through the "term" command is far as Ive
> read.  So this is obviously frustrating when i try to connect with
> my ISP i use >term and im in a window again and again with no
> command prompt to type any commands.I understand when you use the
> term command its suppose to come back with this PPP ON Circle> Kind
> of prompt.  but unfortunately this is not the case.

It won't come back with PPP ON Circle> until you've connected.  You
need to dial the number after typing term..

ppp ON circle> term
Working in interactive mode
Entering terminal mode
Type ~? for help
ATDT <isp dialup # here> <-- that should dial the isp

Also if you have /etc/ppp/ppp.conf set up properly with your isp in
it, you should be able to do the following (this is an example from
my system)..

[root@oz:~]# ppp
Working in interactive mode
ppp ON oz> load ozemail
ppp ON oz> dial
Ppp ON oz>
PPp ON oz>
PPP ON oz> <-- when I'm authenticated and logged on

That's one way I can dial my isp to get online.  There are others as
well, but you can worry about those later.

By the way, you might also want to check what line your mailer is
wrapping at.  The original message was barely readable.  Alot of other
people who subscribe to the list won't bother reading messages that
look like that.

Hope this helps,

Jim

: Jim Mock			| [jim@phrantic.phear.net]	:
: Phear Networks		| web: http://www.phear.net/	:
: A franchise of Triax, Inc.	| -----------------------------	:
: Web Site Design & Hosting	| FreeBSD: The Power to Serve	:
: Wagga Wagga, NSW Australia	| http://www.freebsd.org/	: