Date:      Sat, 29 Jun 1996 07:39:27 -0700
From:      "M.R.Murphy" <mrm@meerkat.mole.org>
To:        nlawson@kdat.csc.calpoly.edu, terry@lambert.org
Cc:        freebsd-security@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I need help on this one - please help me track this guy down!

> Nice try, Terry, but since /bin and /usr/bin and all the binaries on the
> system are owned by bin, a hosts.equiv might as well allow root access.

Not on the systems that we have here that need to be secure, they're not.
All system executables and directories are owned by root. And /tmp and
/var/tmp are owned by user tmp and group tmp. Paranoia is healthy.

Internal systems are setup loose, external systems are screwed down tight.

Blatant tautology alert:

  Just because a system is shipped insecure doesn't mean it has to be
  left that way.

--
Mike Murphy  mrm@Mole.ORG  +1 619 598 5874
Better is the enemy of Good