Date:      Wed, 03 Feb 1999 14:48:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        Alex Zepeda <garbanzo@hooked.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: libpam related buildworld failures

Alex Zepeda wrote:

> Well I should have rephrased that.  I was curious if anyone knew about it
> or was working on it.  What exactly needs to be done here (I know next to
> nothing about pam)?

Well, if by "service types" you meant login, ftp, telnet, etc., then
what needs to be done is to convert ftpd, telnetd, etc. to use PAM
instead of doing their own authentication.  For ftpd that will require
a few relatively minor PAM module fixes having to do with the fact
that FTP as viewed from the server is sort of an event-driven machine
rather than an interactive conversation.

That's what my near-term focus is on.

If you instead meant things like support for RADIUS accounting, that's
just waiting for somebody to come along and implement the necessary
support in libradius and the corresponding PAM module.

John
---
  "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."
                                                            -- H. L. Mencken