Date:      Sun, 11 Nov 2001 18:07:37 -0800
From:      Chip <chip@wiegand.org>
To:        "Joe & Fhe Barbish" <barbish@a1poweruser.com>, "James Buchanan" <gnudev@ozemail.com.au>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Software on FreeBSD (Has FBSD4.4 grown up yet)

I know I may be just feeding the trolls here, but I have to say something.
I think you are way off base. I started using FBSD after running Redhat and
Mandrake for less than a year, and no previous *nix experiance whatsoever. I
got the handle on FBSD within a few days, even had apache up and running my
web site shortly thereafter. At work I have to install Redhat to dual boot
with win2000 on laptops, usually goes okay, but I sure like the FBSD file
system much better. The whole FBSD file system makes much more sense than the
Linux file system.

On Sunday 11 November 2001 08:06, Joe & Fhe Barbish wrote:
> To answer the general intent of your questions, NO FBSD has not grown up
> yet. It is just like all the other Unix like operating systems. Full of
> non-logical command names left over from the beginning.
> Documentation sucks, even the new updated FBSD 4.4 handbook is full of
> information that
> is not true for 4.4. There is no desktop per configured to replace all the
> command names with meaningful menu options or navigation short cuts like in
> SCO Unix. FBSD does not have access to most internal modems because there
> are no drivers available for the majority of the modems on the market, this
> is also true for all Unix like systems.

The X desktop of whatever flavor you like can be installed during the FBSD
installation process, how long's it been since you tried to install FBSD?
The only modems known as problems are winmodems, which are problems anyway,
winmodems suck on any machine.

> Bottom line FBSD is a learning playground, that you will have to work hard
> to gain a understanding of what is going on. FBSD may be a very reliable
> and fast system once you get it up and configured the way you want it, but
> you had better be willing to invest mega time to get there.  For a newbe
> with out any prier Unix background, 200 hours for bare bones out of the
> box, and 1500 hours for full system with mail, www, desktop, firewall, and
> IP to local PC with access to internet.

200 hours? 1500 hours? My word you must be a slow learner. I'm know rocket
scientist, and it sure as heck didn't take me anywhere near those kinds of
numbers to learn FreeBSD.

> You are on your own when it comes
> to technical support, this mailing list is very slow at producing results
> some times.

It's a well known fact that if you rtfm first, do a little research on your
own first, then ask questions with details, you will get plenty of help
quickly.

> If you are comparing FBSD to Redhat, there is no comparison,
> redhat is head and shoulders above FBSD when it comes to ease of use. Stick
> with redhat.

IMHO, FreeBSD is head and shoulders above Redhat (or any Linux) for all
purposes. I use it for my workstation, doing everything I need to do my
business, just as easily as any Linux or Windoze machine.

> The cheapest way to start with FBSD is to download the FBSD 4.4 handbook
> from the FBSD FTP site and then order the single FBSD install cd in the
> sleeve from
> http://www.bsdcentral.com/catalog/index.php?cat=113&id=CAF1712FD53DB706CF49
>D 8C2F693CA79
>
> For $2.95. If the current release is not listed on this web page, then call
> the sales phone number to request it. If the current release is for sale in
> the jewel case then they also have the single install cd in the sleeve for
> $2.95.

I concur here, that's how I got started with FBSD and Linux, now I just burn
my own cd's from the iso images whenever a new release comes out. Also, buy
the books - The Complete FreeBSD and/or The Corporate Networkers Guide to
FreeBSD - They're both excellant ways to get started.

James,
check out http://www.freebsd.org/
you will find all your questions answered there. Some friendly advise - If
you're interested in a new OS of any type you should probably check out their
web site first before asking such a question on the list. You'll probably end
up more confused than ever otherwise.
Give it a try, you have nothing to lose, and a whole new world to gain...
Regards,
--
Chip W