Date:      Sun, 8 Sep 2002 22:35:55 +0100 (BST)
From:      Mark Knight <markk@knigma.org>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   bin/42563: ATA Tagged Queuing wedges -STABLE

>Number:         42563
>Category:       bin
>Synopsis:       ATA Tagged Queuing wedges -STABLE
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD shrewd.lan.knigma.org 4.7-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 4.7-PRERELEASE #0: Sun Sep 8 13:07:18 BST 2002 root@shrewd.lan.knigma.org:/slave/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SHREWD i386

ad0: READ command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
ad0: invalidating queued requests
ata0: resetting devices .. ad0: invalidating queued requests
ad0: DMA limited to UDMA33, non-ATA66 cable or device
ad1: invalidating queued requests
done
ad0: timeout waiting for READY
ad0: invalidating queued requests
 - resetting
ata0: resetting devices .. ad0: invalidating queued requests
ad0: DMA limited to UDMA33, non-ATA66 cable or device
ad1: invalidating queued requests
ad0: no request for tag=0
until the system wedges solid

Further information: http://www.knigma.org/freebsd/tagdeath/info.txt

>How-To-Repeat:

Occured twice.  I was using dump from ad0 -> a file on ad1.  At the same
time, I was browsing some large .jpg's on ad0 using xzgv.  On both occations
the dump had been running for several hours before the failure.  The
simultaneous xzgv appeared to be the trigger.

Before setting hw.ata.tags="1" today, to test 4.7-PRERELEASE (first time I've
every tried tagged queuing), the system was very stable.

>Fix:

Don't set hw.ata.tags="1".