Date:      Tue, 05 Sep 2000 00:58:36 -0500
From:      Daniel Schrock <dschrock@enteract.com>
To:        James FitzGibbon <james@targetnet.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dell PERC Controller (Aka AMI MegaRAID)

James FitzGibbon wrote:

> * Hamilton, Kent (KHamilton@Hunter.COM) [000825 14:20]:
>
> > Can anyone tell me if the Dell PERC controllers (the one I have is a AMI
> > MegaRAID with a Dell prom) will work on FreeBSD 4.x?
>
> Yes, the PERC2/DC (oem AMI) works just fine.  The PERC2/QC is an Adaptec
> based card and also works, though mine is still on order so I can't say for
> sure.
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~msmith/RAID
>
> has all the info, as Mike did most of the RAID controller drivers in 4.x

just a note,
make sure you do a clean install of 4.x-STABLE (<<very important...prior
versions do not work...though compatiblilty is claimed...) when using
the PERC2.  Otherwise you will get "wedged I/O controller" errors...in
my case, during cvsup, during build world, during build kernel...during
install of 4.0(pre-stable)....
i hosed a poweredge 4400 because of that card (and the resulting fsks
due to the above error) and had to use 4.1-RC snapshot to get it
working...not good in a production environment...on the bright side
though...no major problems since.

dan
d_jab@anonymous-daemon.org