Date:      Fri, 28 May 1999 16:33:53 +0200
From:      Erwan Arzur <erwan@netvalue.fr>
To:        Greg Lynn <dglynn@vaview5.vavu.vt.edu>
Cc:        java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Signing Applets with JDK 1.1.x...

Greg Lynn wrote:

> I read from http://www.javasoft.com/security/signExample/index.html
> that signing and verification is NOT supported by the standard browsers
> Netscape and MSE... is this true?? I'm currently using JDK 1.1.6
> so I guess this means no signing?

You're right. Netscape, IE and SUN use different APIs to access the
Security managers, and also do not share the same security model, so you
have to develop multiple times for each browsers involved ... this is a
shame, but at least for Netscape, you have to take in account that most of
Communicator's java code was developped back when java's security APIs was
really crude and did not take in account specific browsers needs ...