Date:      Sun, 15 Dec 1996 11:25:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Craig Shaver" <craig@ProGroup.COM>
To:        grog@freebsd.org
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Any experience with the Archive 4586 and 4584 DDS changers?

> I'm currently in Cupertino, and yesterday I visited the Disk Drive
> Depot at 500 Lawrence in Sunnyvale (where I met a salesman who seemed
> to know what he was selling :-).  They have some Archive DDS tape
> changers there.  Briefly:
>
>   Archive 4584 NPR, DDS-1 with compression, 4 tapes, 16 GB total, $449
>   Archive 4586 NP, DDS-2 with compression, 4 tapes, 32 GB total, $695
>
> Both of these units were discontinued before the Conner/Seagate
> takeover, and were built in 1995, but they're unused. They take up a
> full-height 5 1/4" slot.  A 12 tape cartridge is also available for
> $99.

I saw these in an ad from CSC.  If I had not purchased a HP1533 dat I
might have gone for one.

> My questions:
>
>   Has anybody used these devices?
>   War stories?
>   Does anybody know how to address these tapes?  I'm would expect that
>   they are addressed by LUNs, but that doesn't explain how the 12 tape
>   cartridge works.

Do you think the driver will have to be reconfigured?

> The salesman offered me a 15 day return, but that doesn't help me
> much, since I need to take the thing back to Germany to test it.  I
> suppose if somebody round here were interested, and could let me try
> it out in his machine, that could be an interesting solution for both
> of us.
>
> Greg

Do you have any docs on it?  I am in Sunnyvale, and have both 2.1.0R
and 2.1.5R running right now.  Are you going to get the external unit?
I am doing some work now, but can spare a little time to help you out.
Call the number in the signature.

Craig

--
Craig Shaver  (craig@progroup.com) (415)390-0654
Productivity Group POB 60458 Sunnyvale, CA  94088