Date:      Fri, 26 Feb 1999 16:27:52 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@iafrica.com>
Cc:        Pierre Beyssac <beyssac@enst.fr>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IDE CDROM not found with PIIX4 chipset, -current kernel

Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> 2) I found that stepping through the kernel caused exactly the same
>    problems I was having with accessing my one ATAPI drive that I
>    experience just running normally with my other drive. So it looks
>    like at least one problem regarding ATAPI has to do with timings.

FreeBSD code has had it share of bugs due to spec violation,
generally showing up as "timing" problems. One can search the PR for
"HITACHI" or "ATAPI" (I can't quite recall what subject I choose)
PRs from me. First time, someone found the bug, I incorporated it in
my code, sent PR, and distributed the patch to anyone who complained
about it (on the lists I read). Then, the code was changed (the
whole code), and my PR was closed because it did not apply anymore.
Alas, the new code had the same bug. I don't quite recall if I
opened a new PR or just sent the patch to (probably) Soren.

It was somehow distressing, though, that the new code had the exact
same bug as the old, even though it was quite different code.

This was ages ago, though.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"To make it absolutely clear: you stand on the wrong end of my
blasters, so you better get lost before I start target practice!"