Date:      Sat, 02 May 1998 23:43:05 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        itojun@itojun.org (Jun-ichiro itojun Itoh), current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Infrared ? (a simple experiment for laptop owners...)

> [forwarded to -mobile since it is probably relevant there --- i was
> wondering how hard would it be to implement a 'lightweight' IrDA to
> enable PPP between two FreeBSD laptops]
>
> > 	I've tried that several years before.
> >
> > 	If you open IR port as RS232C serial port (/dev/ttyd1), it will
> > 	behave as half-duplex serial port.  The port is strictly half-duplex,
> > 	that is, if machine A and B send some bytes at the same time
> > 	they will collide and junk byte will be received.
>
> actually it seems that receive is disabled while transmitting, but the
> situation is no different from what you say.
> What i was wondering, though, is if we could implement some quick and
> dirty hack in iijppp to make it work.
[.....]
> This should be relatively easy to implement. Opinions ?

I'd tend to implement some sort of half-duplex protocol layer at the
``struct physical'' layer in the new ppp (MP branch).... some
relatively simple ``I've got control 'till I hand it over to you''
approach.

It may even be useful to build something like that into the kernel
- say as a line discipline.  I haven't searched the rfcs....

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;