Date:      Sun, 10 Aug 1997 02:52:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu (Bill Paul)
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: variable sized arrays and gcc

> Is this a side-effect of GNU C and GNU C++ being joined together at
> the hip, or did I just miss a memo somewhere?

I don't know if it is a direct side-effect of GNU C and C++ using the
same backend -- however GCC has some really interesting features that
could tend to lock-in the lazy programmer...  It has ranges for
switch statements, it can take the address of code labels, it has
some really neat built-ins, etc...

If you are very interested, I suggest reading the gcc manual packaged with
most gcc distributions.  I even bought a copy of the manual from FSF.
(It is smaller than 8x10 laser printer output, and more convienient.)

If you don't have the facilities to typeset the manual (Tex, etc.) online,
I am willing to make a .ps or .dvi (readable with dvips) available to
you.  I have never done it before, but I might be able to produce
a .pdf???

The biggest gripe that I have about GCC's added features is that I
really miss them when using a compiler without 'em.  I still wish the
compiler had more tricks up it's sleeve in the X86 optimization dept.
The X86 optimized compiler project improves things a bit, but there
is still alot that can be done in the register allocation dept, regarding
saving regs around basic blocks and loops...

John