Date:      Wed, 15 Mar 2006 16:16:41 +0100
From:      Gerhard Schmidt <estartu@ze.tum.de>
To:        Andy Hilker <ah@cryptobank.de>
Cc:        Gerhard Schmidt <estartu@ze.tum.de>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD/i386 6-stable + 4 GB RAM

On Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 04:10:30PM +0100, Andy Hilker wrote:
> Hi,
>
> You (Gerhard Schmidt) wrote:
> > > The base install, running GENERIC will only use 3GB.  I believe you
> > > would either need to use the PAE kernel option, or use the 64bit version
> > > of FreeBSD on a corresponding 64bit hardware.
> >
> > I Have a i386 server running with 4Gig of ram without PAE. It's running
> > with 5-STABLE. Has this changed in 6.0.
>
> No. It depends on your hardware how much memory is really available.
> But there is no limit at 3GB in general.
>
> Do you use special options (KVA space etc.) in kernel-config
> or make.conf to have a stable system?

I have  the following options in the kernel

# Fix for the Memory problems
options         VM_KMEM_SIZE_SCALE="4"
options         VM_KMEM_SIZE_MAX="(1024*1024*1024)"
options         KVA_PAGES=512

It runs stable for 4 Years now. Some problem when hyperthreading is enabled,
but without hyperthreading it's stable sofar.

Bye
	Estartu

Gerhard Schmidt    | Nick : estartu      IRC : Estartu  |
Fischbachweg 3     |                                    |  PGP Public Key
86856 Hiltenfingen | EMail: estartu@augusta.de          |  on request
Germany            | 					|