Date:      Fri, 10 Mar 2000 11:08:03 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
Cc:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, Didier Derny <didier@omnix.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is FreeBSD dead ?

>>I fail to see how you can read anything bad into this announcement.  If
>>you're really concerned, you have just as much right to the code as any
>>one else, feel free to take the 4.0 code base and create your own system.
>>BSDidier has a nice ring to it.
>>
>>Personally, I've been running FreeBSD since 1.0, and I'll be sticking
>>with it for quite some time to come.
>
>Ever read Animal Farm? Remember that BSD/OS started out as "cheap with
>source" and grew into "just another OS company". Good ideas can turn bad
>very quickly.

   The is all just FUD. From the FreeBSD side of things, BSDI is going to
opensource a bunch of their software that we can then integrate into FreeBSD.
We're still very much in control of the FreeBSD development effort and what
fundamentally comprises FreeBSD. In fact nothing really changes as far as
the FreeBSD Project is concerned - it's the same core team, the same
developers, and the same BSD-license source code. It's just as "free" as ever,
and nothing is going to change that. BSDI may decide not to make all of their
BSD/OS open-sourced, but that's their decision and that will in no way
deminish what we have in FreeBSD today.
   As others have said, this is a win for everyone and will result in FreeBSD
being a much better open-source OS in the future. I really hope that people
will go and read the various press releases and look at this in an objective
and rational frame of mind. If you do, then there is only one conclusion that
you can get from the facts: This is a great thing for FreeBSD and our future
couldn't be brighter.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Creator of high-performance Internet servers - http://www.terasolutions.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.