Date:      15 Mar 2002 19:45:49 -0800
From:      "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@blarg.net>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   docs/35951: disklabel(8) manual confuses partitions and slices, etc.

>Number:         35951
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       disklabel(8) manual confuses partitions and slices, etc.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical

The "Raw or in-core label" section of the disklabel(8) manual uses
"partition" to refer to a slice (in the first sentence). Some other
places use "partition" in the usual FreeBSD meaning.

The manual also confusingly uses the term "DOS partition" and the
idiosyncratic term "DOS slice".

The term "Microsoft partition table" would be better as "MBR partition
table".

A related problem, which maybe should have it's own PR, is that several
mentions of "disk" or "drive" should have "or slice" added.

It would probably also be better to consistently use "disk" instead of
often using "drive" or "disk drive" as it does. (It's not drivelabel(8).)
================
>How-To-Repeat:
n/a
================
>Fix:

Go through the manual and ensure that each use of "partition", "slice",
and their variants (eg, "DOS partitioning") is unambiguous and correct.

The terms used by the manual could be explained, but I think it is
better to assume that readers have learned in the Handbook what these
two terms mean in FreeBSD documentation and use them religiously.  Don't
use "DOS" as part of our terminology except in defining our terminology.

(Actually, I'd prefer that "slice" be replaced with "primary partition"
and "partition" with "secondary partition" throughout the documentation,
but I don't expect that will be done.)