Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 2000 14:43:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      <joeo@cracktown.com>
To:        Artem Koutchine <matrix@ipform.ru>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GLX,opengl, glut,.. I am lost in all this

CC: list trimmed...

The glx port should be in /usr/ports/graphics, I believe it's name changed
to utah-glx.  The acutual devellopement is hosted at
http://utah-glx.sourceforge.net/

GLX is how you encapsulate GL commends in the X protocol stream.  There is
an xserver part and an X client part.

Glut and Glu are extra libs that try to abstract most windowing system
specifics (open a window, close a window, take over the screen).  Mesa
typically installs an implementation of both libs.

ICE is normally distributed with XFree86.

The nvidia chipsets aren't supported well with the utah-glx stuff.  Check
the sourceforge site mentioned above...

Be aware that there is a known working voodoo3 DRI implementation
(associated with XFree86 4.0.x) ported to freebsd available as
developement sources from dri.sourceforge.net.  I mention this simply
because the V3 boards are very affordable now (around $100 us retail), are
available in pci and agp flavors.