Date:      Thu, 10 Jun 2021 15:26:58 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        Michael Gmelin <freebsd@grem.de>
Cc:        Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>, "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>,  FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Files in /etc containing empty VCSId header

--000000000000a92f1605c470e424

On Wed, Jun 9, 2021 at 2:02 AM Michael Gmelin <freebsd@grem.de> wrote:

> >> There is a command for that which does or use to do a pretty
> >> decent job of it called whereis(1).
> >>

> > revolution > whereis ntp.conf
> > ntp.conf:
> > revolution > whereis netif
> > netif:
>
> That line might make it to a shirt one day:
>
> > revolution > whereis services
>
> ;)
> Michael

Just to clarify for those not willing or able to RTFM, it only works for
executables, not conf files or libraries. It reports the location of the
executable, the man page and the port location, if it is a port. For those
who did RTFM, it is wrong. It claims that it reports on the location of the
source, but that is not the case as far as I know. I have never seen it
return anything from /usr/src.
> whereis cc
cc: /usr/bin/cc /usr/share/man/man1/cc.1.gz
> whereis postfix
postfix: /usr/local/sbin/postfix /usr/local/man/man1/postfix.1.gz
/usr/ports/mail/postfix
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com

--000000000000a92f1605c470e424--