Date:      Mon, 14 Feb 2000 18:09:59 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <freebsd@sasknow.com>
To:        David Banning <root@worldy.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: your mail

On Mon, 14 Feb 2000, David Banning wrote:

> Subject: xdm errors
>
> I can't seem to get X forking or xdm.
> X fires up to a graphics screen with no way to control -
> no screens or programs to click on.

> xdm gives me login which will not allow me to pass ( i have know
> password yet it promps me for one)

You'll need an appropriate .xsession, and, really, you should set a
password for yourself.  man passwd for details.

> I know theres something simple wrong here ...

Short answer:

man startx

In particular, check out the user's .xsession/.xinitrc files.  You will
also probably want to install a "nice" window manager such as KDE,
AfterStep, Enlightenment, ad infinitum.  Refer to your ports or packages
collection, or, if you are running 3.1 (or was it 3.2) or later, run
/stand/sysinstall and visit the post-install config menu to pick a desktop
configuration.

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>	50% Owner, Sysadmin
  SaskNow Technologies     		http://www.sasknow.com
  #106-380 3120 8th St E   		Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2