Date:      Tue, 22 Apr 1997 15:09:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Sonja Jo Krenz-Bush <sjkb@abstractsoft.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: disk error messages, what do they mean?

On Tue, 22 Apr 1997, Sonja Jo Krenz-Bush wrote:

> Our previously stable system has started crashing once a day for the last
> 5 days at approximately the same time of day.  We're running 2.1.5R with
> an Adaptec 2940 controller.  We've had no problems with this system until
> this last week.

Ok, can't blame the 2.2.1 ahc code.  Darn.  :)

> In looking at our logfiles we found some disk errors (listed below), but
> I'm not totally sure what they mean.  We ran a disk check last night but
> it came up clean, and the system crashed again this morning between 7am
> and 8am.  I've tried to go over everything looking for a pattern of
> something that occurs during taht time period, but it is a real low
> activity period for us.
>
> Is the drive just dying and we should RMA it, or is there something else
> we should try?

Ugly, this does *not* look good.

> Apr 19 09:04:31 itchy /kernel: sd1(ahc0:5:0): MEDIUM ERROR info:2c0080
> asc:c,2 Write error - auto reallocation failed field replaceable unit: 9
> Apr 19 13:12:57 itchy /kernel: sd1(ahc0:5:0): RECOVERED ERROR info:1a0060
> asc:12,0 Address mark not found for id field field replaceable unit: d8
> sks:80,1f

Run

scsi -f /dev/rsd1 -m 1 -P 0

Make sure that the following are set:

AWRE (Auto Write Reallocation Enbld):  1
ARRE (Auto Read Reallocation Enbld):  1

If they are not, do

scsi -f /dev/rsd1 -m -P 3 -e

and change them to 1.  This will permanently save the changes.  Obviously
you'll have to do this as root and preferably sometime when the system
isn't being used that much in case you should want/need to restart the
system.