Date:      Wed, 7 May 2003 11:56:05 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, Robert English <drakcap@pacbell.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: INDEX fails at /usr/ports/palm

On Tuesday 06 May 2003 05:44 pm, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 05:29:37PM -0700, Robert English wrote:
> > Hello -
> >
> > just a few minutes ago, after doing the regular daily cvsup, the
> > index compile broke - it left this message at the top of the
> > resulting index file:
> >
> > *** Error code 1|||||||
> > Stop in /usr/ports/palm.|||||||
> > Stop in /usr/ports.|||||||
> > Stop.|||||||
> > There is no COMMENT variable defined|||||||
> > for this port. Please, rectify this.
>
> Clean INDEX builds appear to be completing successfully, so the most
> likely explanation is that you have something stale in palm/ that is
> causing the error.  Try 'make describe' in /usr/ports/palm to track
> down what is failing.

Deleting /usr/ports and recvsuping works. If I have anything stale in my
/usr/ports tree, it is because it was updated between some changes that
deleted ports and left the ../work/ with old comments in them.

FWIW, I went through them last night and there were 145 ports that had
either a Makefile and no ../work or a ../work and no Makefile. A
current cvsup of ports-all from my local cvs-mirror works. It was the
system that was cvsuped almost everyday that had massive problems. I
think the cvs changes that deleted these ports was modified/eliminated
too soon.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart