Date:      Wed, 15 Aug 2001 09:02:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Scott Campbell <scampbel@gvpl.ca>
To:        Tomas Palfi <tpalfi@phoenixmedical.co.uk>
Cc:        "'freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Raptor Firewall

On Wed, 15 Aug 2001, Tomas Palfi wrote:

> hi
> how can i make cvsup work through raptor firewall on my 4.3stable release?
> i have been at it for a relatively long time and haven't produced any
> results.
>
> i have checked the /etc/services
>
> 	cvsup 	5999/tcp	#CVSup

Good.

> however there isn't entry in /etc/inetd.conf
>
> 	cvsup stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/etc/plug-gw plug-gw cvsup
>
> shoud it be there???

Yes, (this looks just like fwtk which is what I use and I expect they are
the same in workings). I have:

cvsup       stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/libexec/plug-gw cvsup

in mine.

> also i couldn't find the equivalent of /usr/local/etc/netperm-table to check
> for another entry which i am not sure about either!
>
> 	cvsup: port cvsup xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -plug-to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -port
> cvsup

In my netperm-table I have an entry of:

cvsup:  port 5999 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  -plug-to 216.94.132.37 -port 5999

where the xxx is my internal ip that is allowed out through the wall

> when telnet xxxxxxx.org 5999 i would expect something like ok16 1 rel_16_1
> CVSup server ready, but nothing.
>
> currently i have my4.3 machine on the DMZone nic card and trying to get out
> to the open through there, however, no success either.

And a note on mine.  From inside I run cvsup non-graphically and have to
use the "cvsup -g -L 2 -P m cvsup.file.name" command for it to work
properly through the firewall.

Hope this helps

Scott E. Campbell
Computer Operations