Date:      Wed, 12 Mar 1997 15:03:07 -0600
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <sysop@mixcom.com>
To:        David Langford <langfod@dihelix.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how many mbuf clusters???

At 12:33 AM 3/12/97 -1000, David Langford wrote:
>On a 2.1.7 machine "netstat -m" shows:
>
>103 mbufs in use:
>        66 mbufs allocated to data
>        25 mbufs allocated to packet headers
>        8 mbufs allocated to protocol control blocks
>        4 mbufs allocated to socket names and addresses
>65/118 mbuf clusters in use
>248 Kbytes allocated to network (57% in use)
>0 requests for memory denied
>0 requests for memory delayed
>0 calls to protocol drain routines
>

>I have 256 users defined in the kernel so I would have expected to see
>(512 + 256 * 16) = 4608 mbuf clusters. Yes?

Trying to push things a bit?  Always thought it odd that FreeBSD would
squak if you exceeded 64 users, but still compile.

>I am reading this totally wrong?
>

>For an machine to have heavy hits and about 200 virtual domains what should
>my network buffers look like?

How many do you have now?  What do you mean by "heavy" hits?

On a 486-DX2/66 32Mb I pushed it to over 5 millions hits and around 100
sites running under Apache with both access and error logging.  As the
system exceeded 80 hosts and pushed past 2 million hits some kernel work
was done.  What did the most was in /sys/sys/syslimits.h set CHILD_MAX to
128 and OPEN_MAX to 256.  Mind you this was BSDi 2.1, when we exceeded
either of these values portmap would fail.  Just a bit important for
networking.  8-)

Since looking at and working with FreeBSD I've found that someother
parameters that were low in BSDi are actually higher than I set previously.

Haven't tried to exceed them with FreeBSD, but don't see a reason why.

>Any help or wooden sticks are appriciated.

Not sure what you plan to run, but will assume Apache.  No error logging or
you will crash around 115 sites or so depending on the number of Apache
processes.  That is unless you can exceed 256 in OPEN_MAX.

One drive for the OS, one for logging, and one, preferably SCSI, for the
pages.

At least 32Mb memory, but one thing that I have found is that FreeBSD with
Apache will do a lot a caching without hacking a thing, so more memory
won't hurt.  Using Stronghold for SSL would mean that you cannot have as
many domains and need at least 64Mb for a decent server due to each child
process taking up about 40% more memory.

Plans are to split the server and upgrade to at least a P100, which would
be a big difference from the DX2/66, and limit to 126 sites per box (1/2 C
class).  Right now it has 126 sites, as I migrate from BSDi to FreeBSD on
this server, but was up to about 170 with no real performance problem.
Better to spread things around.  This way if one goes belly up, I can move
half the sites to one server and half to another.

Just my observations.  8-)

Jeff Mountin - System/Network Administrator
jeff@mixcom.net

MIX Communications
Serving the Internet since 1990