Date:      Wed, 3 Feb 1999 19:22:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        kaleb@ics.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ldconfig and libraries

In article <36B700D2.41C67EA6@ics.com>,
Kaleb S. KEITHLEY <kaleb@ics.com> wrote:

> ldconfig for ELF should just go away.

Feel free to remove it from your system.  It's not going to go away in
FreeBSD any time soon.  You witnessed the outcry when I tried to argue
against it months ago.  There's no point in your bringing it up over
and over again.  It's here to stay.  Just get over it.  I did. :-)

> > an ELF shared library must have a name
> > that ends with ".so." followed by exactly one version number, like
> > this:
> >
> >     libfoo.so.12
> >

> On other ELF systems (since I haven't looked that closely at FreeBSD's
> ELF implementation) the version is a string. The string may have any
> value, e.g. "foo", "a-really-long-and-silly-string" or "3".
>
> The linker doesn't care, it merely records the fully qualified name of
> the library, including the version string, in the program's NEEDED. The
> run-time loader doesn't care, it loads the exact library by name, as
> recorded in the program's NEEDED.

That is the case for FreeBSD too.  The question was about ldconfig,
not about the dynamic linker.

John
  "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."
                                                            -- H. L. Mencken