Date:      Fri, 15 Nov 2002 07:21:21 -0600
From:      Greg Panula <greg.panula@dolaninformation.com>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: IPsec/gif VPN tunnel packets on wrong NIC in ipfw?

David Kelly wrote:

> Ran cvsup this morning (11/14/2002), built world, installed world, built
> and installed new kernel, forgot mergemaster, rebooted, and my VPN to
> another FreeBSD box was not working. Did not update the other box.
>
> Discovered I had not done mergemaster on the problem box so did that
> and rebooted again. Still have the same problem.
>
> What I have found is packets that are supposed to be on fxp0 are being
> killed by ipfw for appearing on fxp1 by this rule. fxp1 is my exteral
> NIC connected to the ISP:
>
> 00600  14  1122 deny ip from any to 10.0.0.0/8 via fxp1
>
> But if I add this rule in front of the above (so I don't have to retype
> the above to add it back) then all is working as it once did:
>
> 00550   2   168 allow ip from 192.168.100.0/24 to 10.0.0.0/24 in recv fxp1
>
> The above are prior to my divert rule.
>
> Much later in my ruleset (after divert to natd) I was allowing these
> packets via fxp0, the internal interface. Some are still going that way.
>
> The distant end is still 4.6-STABLE and shares practically the same
> ipfw ruleset and everything. Rule 600 doesn't cause a problem there.
> Wasn't a problem before the latest update for 4.7-stable.
>
> No doubt I'm lost as to how IPsec packets traverse thru these layers.
> When setting the system up was surprised to find nothing came thru
> gif0. At least nothing ipfw sees.
>
> --
> David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net

gif tunnels aren't really needed for passing IPSec traffic between
locations.  I have stopped using them.

You might try adding an allow rule for esp traffic just before your rule
600.

Something like:
ipfw add 550 allow esp from <local> to <remote> out via fxp1
ipfw add 555 allow esp from <remote> to <local> in via fxp1
or
ipfw add 550 allow esp from any to any via fxp1

If you are using gif tunnels for passing your ipsec traffic thru you
might want to try not using them.  I ran into some similar funkyness a
while back.  Packets traverse the gif tunnel, get decrypted and then get
rejected by the firewall rules for the external interface.

If you would like a quickie example of ipsec tunnel setup between two
freebsd boxes, let me know.

Sorry, I couldn't really answer why you're setup doesn't work after
upgrading to 4.7.

greg