Date:      Tue, 8 Jan 2013 18:57:39 -0600
From:      Antonio Olivares <olivares14031@gmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   openjdk6 + iced-teaweb installed, cannot open *.jnlp

Dear folks,

I am having difficulties with java on my machine I have the java
openjdk6 and the iced-teaweb ports installed.  As the old diablo jdk
has been depracated and has been recommended to remove, I have done
this, I cannot open *.jnlp files on my machine.  I have changed the
/usr/local/bin/javaws to the replacement /usr/local/bin/itweb-javaws,
and I have tried to do what is recommended.  On three of four machines
I have deleted the diablo jdk, but I want to use at lease one  FreeBSD
box and there I have not removed it till I solve this issue.

$ itweb-javaws jviewer.jnlp
Error: could not find libjava.so
Error: could not find Java 2 Runtime Environment.
$

E-213-3W# pkg_version "<" | grep 'openjdk'
bootstrap-openjdk                   =
openjdk6                            =
E-213-3W# pkg_version "<" | grep 'icedtea-web'
icedtea-web                         =
E-213-3W#

Question:
Should I install openjdk7 and iced-teaweb ports?
How can I get java to open the *.jnlp files as the old javaws did correctly?

Please share ideas and suggestions.

Best Regards,

Antonio