Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 2000 15:24:37 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        Stan Osborne <stan@craigslist.org>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newbie Mobile questions

> My employer wants to provide me with an "IBM Thinkpad 600X-7EU".

I'm not sure if everything is fully supported (yet) on the 'X' model.  I
think someone mentioned that X is now supported, but that sound might
not be.

> I would prefer to run FreeBSD on this as the primary OS, dual booted
> with Win 98.  So I have looked around some FreeBSD web sites and
> on cdrom.com.  I have several questions.  If any of you have time
> to answer these or provide other advice, it would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
>   o  Is PAO 3.4-RELEASE available on bootable CDROM for a fee?

Nope.  Although, FreeBSD 4.0 (just released) has laptop support in the
installation built-in.

>   o  Is there anything particularly unique about installing
>      FreeBSD on an IBM Thinkpad?

For FreeBSD < 4.0, yes.  If you're installing 4.0, it should work out of
the box.  For older releases, you have to remove any memory over 64MB
you have in the box, and then build a custom kernel with the exact
amount of memory reported at bootup in the kernel, install the kernel,
turn off and install the memory, and then boot the new system.

>   o  Is there a favored boot loader for dual-boot configurations?

The stock FreeBSD boot configuration works fine.

>   o  When will there be a PAO 4.0-RELEASE?

????  Don't know, I think they're working on integrating it into the 4.X
releases instead, but I may be out to lucnh

Nate