Date:      Wed, 10 Sep 2014 22:37:22 +0200
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: S + J for /tmp and /var and /?

--eAbsdosE1cNLO4uF

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 09:09:47AM +0200, O. Hartmann wrote:
>=20
> On a CURRENT 11.0 box (most recent version) I run into problems when rebo=
oting the system
> via "reboot" command. In most cases, the system restarts with a cot clean=
 dismounted "/"
> root filesystem. Another box, also most recent CURRENT, very offen ends u=
p at the console
> complaining about unclean /tmp filesystem (bot systems do have a GPT layo=
ut and UFS/FFS
> filesystem for the OS/base system).
>=20
> On "/" and "/tmp" as well as "/var" I have enabled soft-updates and journ=
aling (S + J).
> I'd like to ask what the official FreeBSD recommendation would be to that=
 matter. I have
> disabled for now journaling, looking whether it will help to solve the pr=
oblem or not.
>=20
> Box number one (first box I mentioned above) is a gateway system, operati=
ng with PPPoE and
> this seems to make problems when crashing (power loss) or "reboot"-ing th=
e box (normal
> "shutdown -r now" works fine). Disabling the PPPoE facility makes the sys=
tem more robust
> against power failure/reboot "rougeness".

Just as a data-point, I don't have a problem on 10-STABLE with SU+J when us=
ing
shutdown(8). I tend to only use reboot in single-user mode, which also does=
n't
give any problems.

> Are there any suggestions for UFS/FFS regarding S+J were to enable and we=
re better not to
> eanble?

You should definitely disable journaling when you want to make snapshots, e=
=2Eg.
to dump a live filesystem. Quote https://wiki.freebsd.org/NewFAQs:

    If you want to use snapshot (dump -L) then disable the soft updates
    journal for that filesystem

Roland
--=20
R.F.Smith                                   http://rsmith.home.xs4all.nl/
pgp: 5753 3324 1661 B0FE 8D93  FCED 40F6 D5DC A38A 33E0 (keyID: A38A33E0)

--eAbsdosE1cNLO4uF

--eAbsdosE1cNLO4uF--