Date:      Fri, 21 Aug 1998 20:47:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        Scott Michel <scottm@cs.ucla.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intel PRO/1000 Gigabit Adapter

On Fri, 21 Aug 1998, Scott Michel wrote:

> [slightly off topic]
>
> Ewwwwwwwww! Friends never let friends build networks with ATM unless
> absolutely necessary and even then ... It'd be like perpetrating an
> MS Operating system on someone. If the network can't support mcast
> naturally, should we really be using it?

  More important to me, is the ATM overhead of 10 to 15%.  On a 155mbs OC3
link, 10 to 20mbs is wasted!  You can justify ATM overhead for mixed
applications, but if you just want to push IP traffic around, you'd better
off using clear channel routed links.

> The good news is that ATM is being relegated to the dust heap of
> history now that PPP/Packet over Sonet is operational. All we need
> now is operational PCI bus cards.

  Yep.  I wonder if AGP slots can be used for non-video applications?  AGP
has about 4 times the bandwidth of PCI.  Of course, you can only have
on such adapter.

Tom